Loco LL

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Clearing




Finding myself in the middle of the woods, with no people around, no distractions (except for spiders, squirrels, frogs, beavers, and deer), and a journal and a Henri Nouwen book. I didn't know how much I needed that until I had it. The place is called "The Clearing" because it is a place where you can clear your head. It took some time for me to find the silence from within, and maybe I never quite got there. It is really hard to quiet yourself when you are not used to silence! But I really need to do it more often. This book really journeyed me into a place of receiving. I mostly sat in quietness and felt like I was receiving peace more than anything. But I also feel like I have come out of this time with a new look on my life, my family and my purpose. It is probably all much too personal to blog about. I am going to be taking this time that I am not working to refocus my life. I learned a lot about myself while I was there and part of my response to that is feeling the need to take some time to just be. I don't know how else to describe it, but I am pretty excited about it and I feel a lot of peace. I also made the commitment to myself and to God that if I feel myself spiraling down like that again, that I will make the time to go off in the woods (or somewhere) again.
Another book that was suggested to me is pretty good in talking about finding the "secret place" wherever you are. It has been a challenge for me as a mom and working to find times to really pray or be able to listen to what God may be speaking to me. I like the whole idea of being able to escape in your mind in the midst of chaos:)
I also learned a lot about organic gardening and chickens while I was there.

The 30 acres was bought by this couple 2 years ago in Charles City Virginia. On the land is where the first treaty was signed between the American Indians and settlers. It is very close to Jamestown. It is awesome that the land where so much deception took place is now being used for good. I love that! Anyhow, they are also gardening and raising chickens. Almost everything we ate was straight from their land. I love that too! They are planning to make a labrynth on the land which will be awesome. I am hoping Chris and I can go together sometime.

Here a couple pictures from the rivah, my favorite place to see a sunset.

1 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger maria said...

I'm so glad you've been able to find some time to just be. You've done soooo much in the past few years; you truly deserve all the rest & repose you can get. I'm praying for a truly refreshing time of sabbath for you!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home