Loco LL

Thursday, February 28, 2008

me, the crunchy girl??


I just had a laugh in the midst of a crazy hectic day at work when a coworker said to me that I was "crunchy." The context? Well, I overheard a bunch of girls talking about different diets they have tried and I put my two cents in telling them about this revolutionary book that I have been reading called "In Defense of Food." Before I could get a word out, my friend exclaimed, "but you're crunchy Lara, not like us...you don't enjoy burger king like we do." So, for those of you who don't know what "crunchy" means, it is basically a hippy. I laughed and told her that I am not that "crunchy." Well at least not compared to some of my friends. Later, someone asked if I had eaten lunch yet (we nurses have to hold each other accountable to finding time to eat). I told them I ate my salad while I pumped. I could tell that some of them were surprised I was still pumping. Finally they asked how long I want to breastfeed and why? I asked them "Why not? Which is better for India to drink? Milk from a cow that has been pasteurized and homogenized, robbing it of its vitamins and then vitamins are added back in, OR is it better for her to just have what is natural and better and the REAL THING!!" "OOOOOHHHHHHH" some of them said. "That really does make sense." But then my friend exclaimed, "like I said, she's crunchy! And I bet you wear hemp too??" I responded, "yep, but I don't smoke it." And she responded, "yeah, because if you did, you would be coming to Burger King with us."
But in all seriousness, I love this book by Michael Pollan. Highly suggest it. It has rocked my way of thinking about food and destroyed some of my ideas on healthy ways of eating. Not only that, it has opened my eyes to how the government and corporations control how we think about food! Definitely a worth your time read!!

4 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger MeesheMama said...

This book is everywhere. Glad you are enjoying it. How is the nightly reading ritual coming along?

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lara, I LOVE this story! I always have the same reaction if people think I'm "crunchy"... "You should meet some of my friends!" I'm really excited to read In Defense of Food, but I promised my friend who gave it to me that I'd read The Omnivore's Dilemma first. Add it to the list!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Mom said...

I was wondering about your breatfeeding when you go to China. What are your plans for that situation??

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Jennboree said...

ha. that's funny. I guess we're considered crunchy since my family was shocked that my husband is an organic-eating/cleaning Republican.

Love your stories! here from Meeshemama :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home