Loco LL

Saturday, December 01, 2007

What to do with the pumpkins??


Bake them!! If you have some small pumpkins sitting on your steps, no need to throw them away. In the past two years, I have grown to love baking pumpkin pies. I don't even like them that much, but my husband does, so I set myself out to find the martha within. Last year I baked one of the little pumpkins we got at a fall party. I thought it would be neat for the kids to see how to make a pumpkin pie from scratch, and since I never did it myself, I had to do some researching. I found this great website. Check it out. Also, you can make a healthier version which my kids love but my husband doesn't. If you try to decrease the amount of sugar your family eats, try this recipe:
Crust:
2 T margarine or butter
1/3 c apple juice concentrate
3/4 c whole-wheat flour
1/2 c wheat germ
1/4 c chopped pecans (i use almonds)

filling:
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
1 can pumpkin (or 1 small fresh pumpkin cooked)
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/2 nutmeg
1 c raisins
3/4 c +2 T apple juice conc
2/3 c +2 T evaporated skim milk
2 t vanilla
1 T unflavored gelatin


for crust, melt butter and juice and blend w/ flour, wheat germ, and pecans, press into 9 inch pie plate. pre-heat oven to 425 and make filling: mix eggs, pumpkin, and spices,. process raisins, juice, and 1/3 +2T milk, and vanilla in blender or food processor. add pumpkin mixture and mix well. stir in geletin w/ remaining milk and let stand 1 minute. stir with pumkin mix and pour in shell. bake 15 min and reduce heat to 350 for 45 minutes. it thickens more after refrigerating.

Enjoy your pumpkins:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home